here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

stained, stamped & stenciled art journal pages...

studio 490 style...

phew...that's a mouthful...

I thought the title should include the main ingredients we use in this class...

stained, stamped, stenciled & markered...??
no...leave the markers off the title...

stained, stamped, stenciled...
now that sounds much better...


I've been busy working on new techniques for an art journalling class I'll be teaching in the fall...

here's a look at my first test piece...
and uses tim's distress stains, distress inks, my stamps & new stencils...
oh...and the 
wonderfully awesome 
magnificent 
magical 
can't live without them...
I LOVE them...can you tell?




ok...that idea that worked...
I was happy with the result...

so I moved on to a larger art journal page, 
it's 5 1/4 x 5 1/4 inches...

TRUST ME...
specialty stamping paper is pure magic...
it takes every Ranger product very well & I find the surface to be VERY forgiving...
non warping...
another can't live without it product!

you'll see I used my 3 fresh flowers stencil along with the polka dot & stripes border stencil...



that was so much fun...
I HAD to start another page...
it's not finished yet...
but I'll show you that I started with my heart stencil...
on the specialty stamping paper...

that yummy flourish is stamped with 
LOVE this blue!
again you'll see the border stencil & 


I like that the stencil can be used vertically or horizontally...


the numbers you see on the heart page are on this stencil...


my goal is to have a post for you on Friday,
 showing a few ways to play with these stencils...

so I'll keep this short for today...
and get working on my TO*DO list & on Friday's post...

oh wait...
we have a WINNER...

HUGE CONGRATS to...

Blogger SusanK said...
Some great ideas for these new products! I WILL have that stencil and stamp set in my inky hands asap!!! One way or another! lol
August 13, 2012 3:45 PM
 Delete



I hope you'll enjoy your prize...
send me an email with your shipping info & we'll get your package off...

I'm headed to the studio to play with my stencils
and I WILL...

make  art!
wendy
ps...I haven't heard from you...HANDGATHERED...
you won a prize! please contact me...if I don't hear from you by Friday, I'll redraw from today's comments...

42 comments:

Lori said...

Congrats Susan! Bet she doesn't even know yet...lol...LOVE the journal pages, very cool stuff!

Gabrielle said...

Ooh! I love your experimenting! I think I need some of that Ranger paper and Ultramarine ink... and the stencils and stamps... I am so "needy"! Looking forward to more ideas on Friday...!

Julie S said...

I don't know why I'm so reticent to try art journaling. Your pages are lovely and those stencils? Love 'em! Need to get these feet wet...

Helen said...

Loving all the art - and well done Susan! My list of must haves is growing every time you share more art!

Debby said...

Love the journal pages! They are awesome! Maybe we need an art journaling kit in the future or a book with your techniques????

Tarnished Rose said...

Love the tag and the page. I've never tried specialty stamping paper but will have to give it a go. Also, I just got into stenciling and I think I'm going to love it! Soooooo many layers can be added!

Smiles~
Marilyn

Wilma said...

Congrats Susan!
Wow, I love your stencils for art! Can't wait to have them in my own hands:-))

Meme said...

I love those flowers!

Elaine A said...

Congratulations Susan - lucky girl! Wendy - LOVE your tag and the journal pages. Really love the texture you achieved, great look. I'm thinking those stencils will become part of my stash soon - LOL!

Elaine Allen

Diane said...

Congrats to Susan....and I love these projects, I have the Distress Markers, now I need to use them...these are really awesome!

Anonymous said...

Love the stencils! Congrats to Susan!

Leslie M. said...

Congrats to the winner! Love seeing your examples!

Dorothy said...

Yay Susan!
I just love the art and also love the specialty paper. A must have!!

Unknown said...

I love how those flowers came out ... did you use Gesso? Very cool! Congrats Susan!

Lisa said...

I would live to know how you got the texture and dimension on the stenciled flowers! Great work as always! Thanks for sharing!

Cim Allen said...

Congrats to the winner !! I love the raised look of the flower and the colors on all the projects. Awesome !!

Renee said...

Looking forward to Friday on using the stencils. looks like a purchase could be in my future.... that speciality stamping paper!!!!

Kate Yetter said...

I absolutly love the classic word stencil! Awesome! Your tag is fabulous! Love that flower.

Anonymous said...

Ooh I love the classic word stencil ! Gorgeous projects, as usual ! Sue C x

PlumTuckered's Paper Plays said...

Congratulations SusanK!!
Wendy, I love that tag and those art journal pages!!! I agree with you, Ranger's Specialty Stamping paper is amazing! I love how dimensional your flower is..how did you do it?

Carol W. said...

Congrats Susan! Gorgeous tag. Love the stencils!

SusanK said...

Lori was right...I didn't know and almost didn't come here because I really needed to get some cards made but then just felt the absolute need to check on Wendy's stuff. So glad I did! Woohoo!!! I wanna take your art journaling class...hope you do it at your home store. So loving what you've shown today!!!

Myrto said...

Wow, how did I missed these stencils. I MUST have them!
Hugs and thanks for the inspiration!

Tona said...

These stencils are great and of course I always love to see what you do with everything.

Redanne said...

Oh dear Wendy, more things to add to my groaning list of must haves......loving those stencils and what you have created with them. A x

Suzan VonEssen said...

Lovely--and I too am wondering how your got the smooth (-ish) looking texture. I guessed Gesso or MultiMedium?? Can't wait to find out!! Congrats Susan!

Marjie Kemper said...

I'm loving your new pages and the stencils look totally fabaroonie! Congrats to Susan!

Eyeleeeen said...

Your art journal pages rock! Love the texture, the layers, the color.....love it all!
I'm a stencil fiend, and know I'll be adding yours to my collection.
And congratulations to Susan; winning is such surprising fun!

Mac Mable said...

Just discovered your fabulous blog and your magnificent techniques. Great to see something different. Must go now and buy some of your fabulous goodies. Thank you for sharing your techniques for us novices. Beverley x

snazzyoriginal said...

Can't wait to get my inky, painty hands on those stencils xx

Nancy Wethington said...

Love these stencils and what you did with them!

pixiedust61 said...

Love the art journal pages, especially the wish page! I am hoping that fall art journal class will be making its' way to the Queen's Ink in Oct.Loving your stencils ! Awesome!

Larissa Heskett said...

OMG!! I LOVE the fun details you shared today using your NEW stencils!! HOW FUN!! LOVE the technique and can't wait to give it a try!! AWESOME!! =) CONGRATS to the WINNERS!! THANKS for sharing Wendy and have a FABULOUS WEEK making ART!! =)

Marilyn Nimmo said...

Great journal pages.

Karen Goulet said...

Hi Wendy! I am sorry for what you and your family are going through.
Thanks for sharing all of those great tips and your yummy products.
Karen :)

Marijane said...

Love all the pics today! I just started doing a little art journaling and am loving the effect of the stencils. Looking forward to more of your ideas using them. I'd love to know what you used to add texture to the flower on the tag.

Julie said...

That's one cool looking flower! So creatively cute! Thank you for sharing techniques.

Carol McCready said...

Love the journal pages and stencils. Hope you'll be teaching that class
at Buffalo Stamps & Stuff. I would
be so excited to take another one
of your classes.

Unknown said...

I'm really loving the texture and depth you are getting. these stencils are wonderful - thanks for sharing art!

Art By Wanda said...

Totally fabulous!!!!!!!!!!! I'm stalking the mailman every day waiting for the order I placed at Stampaway... I'll have all the stencils and some stamp sets and art part sets!!!

Tracey-B said...

Now these are just awesome, such lovely designs and colours. Love the dimension too!

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Gorgeous flower tag!