here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Thursday, March 12, 2015

faux graniteware eggs...

here's a fun, quick & inexpensive 
little Easter home decor project...

grab some paper mache eggs...
and insert a memo pin into one end...

***think about how you'll use these before deciding which end for the pin...
will the small or large end sit in something or are they going in a little basket?***


to start...

I inked the blending tool with sky blue archival ink, tapped over the egg,  sprinkled with the sky blue embossing powder & heated to melt the powder...

this is where the memo pin worked great as a handle & protects your fingers from both the heat & the embossing powder...

while the egg was warm
I sprinkled on another layer of embossing powder...
the warm powder will hold the second layer of powder on...
you'll see that the second layer of embossing powder melts very quickly...

***hold the egg for a minute, to allow it to cool, before setting it on your craft sheet to prevent any marks in the powder***

here's my first egg...


that was fun...
so I decided to repeat the same steps, with different colors on more eggs...

I chose my new suck it up buttercup 


and now I have these 3 cuties...
but I used 3 on the buttercup for better coverage...

if you like these enameled eggs, 
you could quit there...
but I kept going...


next, I grabbed potting soil archival ink...


and tapped it over the eggs to age them...
I don't dry the ink...


then I used the unmounted spatter stamp with Glacier White to add dots to the eggs & gave them a quick dry with the heat-it tool...
it takes very little to dry the Glacier white...

the small spatter stamp is perfect for small curved surfaces...

if you already have the 

next, I stamped the hosta 2 times onto clearly for art (CFA), that was covered with newsprint, using Glue N Seal...

I used jet black archival to stamp the images, and leaf green archival to ink the leaves and 

I heated them enough to soften the CFA & then shaped the leaves to create a little dimension...
I added a piece of black foam adhesive to the back of the leaves & added them over the full hosta...
I like to offset the layers & 
not line them up perfectly...



next I added this new remnant rub to the egg...
you'll LOVE the remnant rub tool...
I DO!
I placed the egg in the foam adhesive roll to make it more stable & easier to work on...

you'll see on the hosta, what the offset layers look like...


I added the remnant rub...


in the next photo,
 you'll see that I added the flower, the



my original plan was to make several eggs...
I thought I'd put them in a 
real vintage graniteware pot...

but then I spied this adorable trophy... 
and discovered that it holds the eggs very well...
on to plan B...



I put a little on the craft sheet, then spread the paste onto the trophy with my finger...
it takes very little paste...
just add a super thin layer...


I used a Q-tip to get in the area under the handles...
I know...
it's not too cute yet,
 but trust me...
keep going...



the thin layer of gold metallic embossing paste was dry in 2 minutes or less...
when it was dry, I added some potting soil archival ink over the paste, with a blending tool...

then used the spatter stamp with 
to add faux "pits" to the trophy for a more authentic effect...


I used the foam adhesive roll again to hold the trophy...

 and added a remnant rub...


I'm seriously addicted to the foil sheets
so I used a tiny bit to accent the trophy...
the remnant rub tool makes it simple & the foil sticks very well to the dry embossing paste...


I like the little bits of orange-ish metallic foil...
it looks sort of rusty...


and here's the egg sitting in the trophy...


I thought about adding that brown fake grass stuff in the trophy...

hmmm...
not sure...

how cute would these be at each placesetting for Easter?

remember I told you to think about how you were going to use them?

you could leave the memo pin in place & add the guest's name or type out HAPPY EASTER and add that to the memo pin...
lots of possibilities...

you could also cause a family feud...
WHAT???
who do you give #1 to?
lol...oh...that could be lots of laughs!

I think I won't add the grass...

when Easter is over, I'll pack the eggs away & reuse the trophies with some little flowers...

so I went from these generic 
paper mache eggs...


to faux graniteware eggs...




with 9 embossing powder choices there are lots of fun color combos...

I hope you'll grab some eggs,

 and...

make (EASTER) art!
wendy



33 comments:

Dorothy said...

Absolutely stunning!!! Love this idea!!!
Thanks Wendy!

Wilma said...

Oooohhhhh WOW what a great idea, love it!!

Lori said...

Fab idea!! They're so cute!! I love the graniteware tech on these eggs!

michelle said...

Brillant and I must get some eggs soon!

SusanK said...

Love the tech on these eggs! We don't celebrate Easter but could certainly use a few in the ironstone bowl on the table to announce spring and new beginnings! Yay!!!!!!!

jezebel said...

One question, Wendy.

What the Hades did you do with your creative mind all those years you were a surgical nurse??! What was your outlet?? Ok, that's two questions actually...

Outstanding project!
Thanks,
Jen Johnson

Unknown said...

They are all beautiful! Great technique!

JanBianchi said...

very cool love this alot, alot.
thanks as always. brilliant

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

i totally love your eggs. Your inks are magical I think..they can make so many pretties.
hugs

Art By Wanda said...

Fabulous! !!!!!!

Unknown said...

Love, love the eggs and trophy. Will definitely try this. Thank you.

Becky said...

Yes, 9 embossing powder colors are grand...but when do we get the original 6 colors?!? :)

Jane said...

Wow Wendy these are brilliant x

Kirsten said...

So gorgeous!!

Becca Cruger said...

So cool! This is such an amazing Easter project and will make a super display.

Tona said...

I have decided that you are the cleverest woman on earth, not to mention oh so very talented. Love it!

Lisa said...

This is so fabulous!! The eggs look amazing!! Wow!! Stunning and brilliant!! Have a great evening :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Kathy Bradley said...

Oh my gosh, the marble-like eggs are just beautiful! I loved the colors and your use of rub-ons and other inks. The trophy looked awesome!

Patty O'Malley said...

Wow! These look fantastic!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I really need to decorate an egg now, fantastic Wendy, love them, they would look great on an Easter table. Tracy x

jreyoriginals@gmail.com said...

Very cool! I love this! Thanks for sharing!

Susan Battensby said...

Wow, love your technique, the eggs look so real.
Thanks for sharing.

Sue said...

I gotta go to Hobby Lobby to get me some eggs!

Linda said...

I so love these Easter eggs, Wendy !! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talent with us. I will certainly try this !!!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Sharon Y said...

Adore these eggs! I see a whole bunch in a basket. Thanks for the inspiration.

stamping sue said...

you are so creative with your embossing powders. I like these eggs.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Karen Petitt said...

Beyond gorgeous - love them! Wonderful colour and gloss and the embellishments are awesome Karen x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

OH MY CREATIVE WORD!!!! Amazeballs! LOVE the shine, love the dots, love the rub ons! Gorgeous inspiration!!!

Irene said...

I am shaking my head with wonder....at your creativity. You inspire me to try things! Absolutely stunning!

MJWeber said...

I loved the way the eggs looked with just the embossing powder, and then you made them even better! These will be great to hold place cards for our Passover Sedar (dinner).

Ruby Craft said...

Wonderful idea for Easter. Love your tutorials and your Easter Egg in its own little antique golden trophy cup. That texture is amazing.

Redanne said...

Oh, I need to do this, the eggs look fabulous and the trophy looks positively ancient - love it!! Anne xx

Carol McCready said...

Your eggs are awesome. Now I know why I've been hoarding those paper mache eggs.

Now I'm wondering how I can apply this to those paper mache deer I've been hoarding.