here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

inspiration from...

the home improvement store...

a recent trip to our local 
Home Depot gave me some ideas...

Rick was looking at something boring...
so I wandered up & down a few aisles 
and found these "things"...
I have no clue what their real purpose is...
but I know what I'll do with them...

I think I'll do a little "series" of posts
over the next few weeks using these items...





today's project starts out with this
black plastic "fence post cap"...


it's a nice solid piece & after using the one I got, I will be getting a few more to use with different products...



I have been so anxious to play with tim's new distress paper mosaic kit & I thought this fence post cap would be a great base...

my original plan was to leave a black border/frame around the bottom, so I masked off around the  base with painters tape, to protect it from the grout & give me a nice clean edge...

you'll see later that I changed my mind...
girls can do that...



grout...glue...glaze...
everything you need is in the kit...

the first step is to spread a layer of grout over the base and set it aside to air dry...
while the grout was drying, I decided to use this  sheet of yuletide paper stash...

you sure could use up paper scraps...
and I know I will...
but I've had my eye on this paper since it arrived...
the small patterns were perfect for this project...



I chopped it up into lots of little irregular sized pieces...
this takes WAY LESS than I thought, 
so I'm ready for a few more holiday pieces...
like about 20 more!
yikes!


after the grout is dry, you add the paper "tiles", using the glue that's included in the kit...
I used a small paint brush to add the glue...

then add the "glaze" over the tiles & 
allow it to air dry...

the "glaze" comes in the kit too...
I outlined the edges of the papers and filled in the center with the glaze...

it was at this time that I decided that the black plastic didn't create the frame that I expected... 
it still looked like cheap black plastic...
imagine that!

so...
I used my gold metallic embossing paste to create a more faux gilded effect...


I scooped out a small amount of the gold paste with the palette knife & put it on the craft sheet...


I like to apply a VERY thin layer using my finger...
a thin layer looks best & dries almost immediately...
it takes very little paste...
the less...the better...
just smooth it on...simple...


and then it dried & looked like this...
goodbye cheapo plastic...


hmmm...
now it looked a little too perfect...
so to make it more vintage & distressed, I used a foil sheet in random areas...
the foil will magically stick to

the remnant rub tool is an easy way 
to add/rub the foil...
I like to use the flat end...

remember...
pretty side of the foil goes UP...

now it's very vintage/random/worn looking & 
not looking like cheapo plastic...



to alter the mirrored star
I added a thin layer of my fav
glue n seal and pressed a piece of 
over the wet glue & allowed it to dry...
when it was dry, I ripped off the foil & got this cool metallic/rusty effect on the surface of the star...
reason #887 why I LOVE glue n seal...


now on to the large woodlands tree...
that mister on the right is holding rubbing alcohol and about 6 drops of the potting soil reinker and about 6 drops of the tree branch reinker...
(I made this to mist over a bare wood frame & it's cool!)

I misted the tree & allowed that to dry...


to color the wood tree base...
quick & easy!


next up...
something to jazz up under the tree...

I inked the holly stamp & pressed 
the holly mat mini onto the inked stamp...
then inked over it with fern green archival...


adding another layer is always a good idea...

stamped over the holly...

I used red geranium to color the berries, after they were stamped with jet black...
but forgot to take a photo...
oops...




the grout was looking a little too stark, so I added just random little bits of tree branch archival 
to the base, using the blending tool...
now it looks better coordinated with the tree...

to assemble, I used an awl to make a hole in the wood tree base & inserted a nail thru the hole from the bottom side of the fence post cap & filled the hole with multi medium for more stability of the tree...

I first added some hot glue under the base to hold the nail in place...

here's a look at the base...

you can also see the holly & berries under the tree...


the tree is decorated with the 
I cut off the prongs & hot glued them onto the tree...


to make this a sticker, 
 die cut it, removed the backing sheet & added it to the tree...
I did add a tiny bit of multi medium too, since I'll be taking it on the road to 
later this month...


it's hard to show the cool effect that 
 creates in a photo, so here's a mini video...
or as Rick called it...
a silent movie!

***edited the video, so you don't get sea-sick!***

you can also see that the paper really does look like mosaic tiles...






so...
the moral of this post is that inspiration is everywhere...
even Home Depot...

sometimes we just need to be open
 to SEE it...

if you're out & about...
check out the other pieces in the first photo...

check out local hardware stores too...
they might have other cool shapes...

I had a blast with the metal pieces too...

because...
I used them to...

make art!
wendy
oh..one more thing...
I've gotten some emails about people not seeing all of my FB posts...
it's my understanding that when you go
you hover the cursor over the LIKED button, 
then click GET NOTIFICATIONS...
then you should see everything...

hope this helps...







22 comments:

Jane said...

This is just brilliant Wendy..such a perfect keepsake for Christmas. You are so clever! x

SusanK said...

I love shopping at the home improvement stores! You can always find something that can be altered. Washers for jewelry, magnetic vent covers for die storage...the list goes on and on! Love how you turned the fence cap into a tree base...perfect for the mosaic look, too!

Carol said...

That is wonderful. I can see them on a mantle.

Alyce said...

I love the way this turned out. Thanks for sharing your creativity. I never would have come up with this idea on my own. Hope to be able to see you in Madison!

Debby said...

Gorgeous! Love how that turned out. Might have to venture to a hardware store. (gasp) Totally out of my comfort zone of shopping! Thanks for sharing this.

Julia Aston said...

Such creative thinking done at the Man's store!

Redanne said...

Oh dear... I didn't think I needed the mosaic kit but you have made it look like such fun, I may have to re-think! I love how the grouting around the tiles looks - so textural. What a great find that fence top was too, you have made it looks incredible! xx

Marci said...

A really neat idea! I love how your tree turned out. I can't see to get the video to play on my phone?

Marci said...

A really neat idea! I love how your tree turned out. I can't see to get the video to play on my phone?

Craftychris said...

So cool! I love it! xxx

Lisa said...

You are so clever!! This is so fabulous!! I love it!! What a fun project!! Have a great evening :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

donna said...

This is a great idea. So cute, can't wait to give it a try.
donna in ky

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

This is fun and fabulous I am so glad I popped in on Facebook tonight. I love the paste and the cute little mosaics..and your creative beautiful imagination,
Fabulous little treasure!

Vic said...

Perfect little tree scene!

Wilma said...

This is so wonderful! Love it!

Dorothy said...

Very clever!! I love the way it turned out!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Truly, I always learn something new with you! I LOVE this! I love that you found all kinds of inspiration in ordinary things from the hardware store. SO COOL!!! What a gorgeous Christmas beauty here!

Lori said...

Very cool idea!!! Gotta love those hardware stores!

Unknown said...

Wow - what fun. Such a SUPER outcome. CREATIVITY defined!! j.

Sue said...

So freakin' cool!

Kirsten said...

That is really cute.

County Purr Farm Scrapbooking said...

Fantastic! Love the hardware store myself, and what a great idea with the fence post top!